Thursday, September 29, 2011

What was your most memorable moment in court? - Business First of Louisville:

milicinodijoo1981.blogspot.com
Jewell recounted, “I was working on a plum assignmeng with a partner at thefirm (Seillerr Waterman) … who had decades of He asked me to attenr motion hour.” Jewell was enthralled as she “watched him argude the motion effortlessly,” but she soon found out even seasonerd pros can stumble over new “He asked me to approach the bencu so he could introduce me to the judge,” Jewell After accolades about Jewell’s accomplishmentd and the firm’s excitement over theirf new hire, instead of saying India Jewell, “hde said, ‘I’d like you to meet Indiana Jones.
’ It was the funniesg and most shocking thing I’ve ever experiencefd in my life.” Jewell quietly gave the judge her correctf name and now says, “It was a wonderfullyy pleasant way to learn to not take yourself so seriouslyh in the practice.” William Becker, Frost Brown Todd Beckedr vividly remembers being sworn in as a new lawyer and the lessom of not being too serious in his job. “Standingf in the Kentucky Supreme righthand raised, with family and friend s watching, I expected a very dignified and serioud ceremony,” he recalled, adding that the spectators weren’g prepared for the ceremony’s ending.
“The constitutional oath that all attorneyz take concludes with a solemn promise thatI ‘have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this state nor out of ” Becker said. That’s when nervouds chuckles emerged fromthe crowd. Muffled laughter followed the “nor have I sent or accepted a challengew to fight a duel withdeadly weapons.” And when the new lawyersd swore, “nor have I acted as seconsd in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assistefd any person thus offending …,’ the new attorneys had to try to make themselvea heard over “loud guffaws.
” Ten years “I still take my chosen profession but not too seriously, he said. A. Holland Houston, attorney, As long as she practices contract law, Houstonj said, she will remember a lesson she learneds when arguing a contract disputein 2001. “It was in the Kentucky Supreme Court,” Houston said, “and I represented a factorinvg company.” The company was attempting to buy adeceasecd husband’s insurance settlement from his “The opposing argument was that she was bouns by her husband’s contract and couldn’tt sell it,” Houston Houston had written the case but had troublde arguing it to the “The justice sitting on the bench that heard my appellatee oral argument had worked for (the deceased’s formee employer), probably as general and wrote much of the contracg that we were trying to void,” Houston said.
“The judges should’ve recused himself, but I should’ve done research to find out he was on the It was theone truly, I was standing on my feet and absolutelhy speechless.” Karl Price, attorney, Price said he “stillo gets teary-eyed thinking about that morning” in paternity court in the when he “noticed a mothe r who brought two young boys with her to “The boys’ … ages were 4 and 8,” he said. The 8-year-olcd boy “knew his dad and apparently missed him being in his life quitra bit.
” Price was certain the boy’se reunion with his father “would be the highlighty of the day,” and wondered “how I was goingf to hold back my tears.” But when the hearing conclude d and the prosecutor asked the father “idf he wanted to spend a few momentds alone with his sons, he, with a straighrt face, said ‘no, all I want to do is ” Price said. The fatherf was told that the “8-year-old had been waitinhg for this day for monthas and had a giftfor him,” Pricw added. “The father still said no, then walked out of the courtrooj with his newgirlfriend — right past the 8-year-olc — and never looked his way.
My tears did fall that day like but they were not tearsof

No comments:

Post a Comment